I would like to make a public notice that photos from this blog were posted on the http://www.cuteoverload.com without my knowledge or my permission. Someone identifying themselves as Helen B. submitted photos and text from this blog.
I have contacted Cute Overload and requested that the photos be removed.
I am a fan of that site and appreciate the response from those who found this blog via that site. We all love the cute and fuzzy. However, let me be clear, it is not legal, nor is it ethical to claim someone's creative work as your own.
Thank you..
28 comments:
I'm sorry your images were used without your permission . . . but I would have never had visited your blog otherwise :(
:-( The does send people to your blog (as opposed to hers)
let's hope "helen" just made an honest mistake.
Or that cuteoverload made a mistake & didn't understand that helen was just pointing people to your blog & wasn't trying to claim credit.
I'm with rachel - I'm sorry it wasn't with your permission, but I'm glad they posted as otherwise I would never have found your blog. You have a great way with words, you describe your "kids" so well that they truly come to life. I think that is an even better skill than the pictures.
Hey Helen -- this is Theo from Cute Overload -- would it be OK if I just edited the post crediting you, with a link back here to your blog? I really like the photos.
- T.
I, too, regret your images were used without your permission, but am glad to have found your blog. Your kids are a delight, and so is your prose.
Also, kudos for standing by your copyright. It's not always easy, or popular, to do that, especially on the Interwebs.
I'm sorry the pics were used without your permission, but I must stop by to tell you how beautiful and sweet these images are.
I was so happy to see these photos on cute overload today - I have been following Agnes and Henry for awhile now and thought, "Hooray! They made it to CO!!" I did think the "Helen" thing was odd, though - was wondering if you'd changed your name to remain anonymous.
That said, I hope you consider what Theo from CO said - they would never post something maliciously. Plus, everyone needs more exposure to these two little angels!
oh dear.
i'm so sorry! i found your blog through C.O. also, my kitty also stuffs himself into my (similarly sized/aged) valise, so i just had to peek at the original material.
she did link back to your blog correctly... who on earth would have submitted them? that is very, very strange. is there no limit to what strange people will do with material that's not theirs? *shakes head in disbelief*
Tallulah & Hal -- this kind of thing happens way too often... so many folks don't realize that not everything they can see on the internet is theirs to do with as they please. Our own material ends up "mysteriously" on other websites every day.
I hope Victoria will relent if we say "please" very politely, but it's her call.
Here's a hug for you Victoria. I have to say that seeing a word from the adorable Theo here makes me feel somewhat better!
What cute kittehs you have, Victoria!
*wags finger at Helen*
That was norty. I don't really believe in "mistakes" like this. Call me a cynic. Go on, I dare ya.
I personally don't think it was a case of Helen trying to claim the images as her own (no, I did not see the submission email from Helen, I don't work for CO, I just like to give folks the benefit of the doubt). I personally think it may have been a case of "Look at these fantastic photos of these adorable kitties I found online!" and simply an oversight in the proper credit (as in, saying "so and so submitted these images" and forgetting to add the origin info). There isn't always a sinister motive, and often things can be corrected by the original owner/creator contacting the spot the images end up at to simply have the right credit and link attached...without any screaming or footstomping. Just "Oh, the submitter found these at my site, I took the pictures, here's my name and site link."
Ignorance is not an excuse, anon.
VICTORIA -- THANKS MUCH! - T.
Oh dear...I also came here via the Cute Overload post. Sorry to hear that the pictures were posted without your permission. I have just started blogging myself and am paranoid about that sort of thing :-( But, as a fellow cat lover, I'm enjoying reading your blog! So I guess that's the silver lining here. Nice to meet you and your furry kids!
P.S. Victoria, I just took another look at Cute Overload and it looks like they have given you the credit for these adorable kitties. Meanwhile, I'm thrilled I found your blog and I'm enjoying meeting dear little Agnes and Henry! This reminds me of my kitten-rearing days...both of mine are now full-grown Maine Coons (BIG cats)! Feel free to visit me if you like!
But I never did say that ignorance was an excuse, nor was I actually making any kind of excuse. Simply pointing out that the entire situation was likely NOT malicious in any way, and could (and has been) easily corrected with a few polite emails. After all, it was looking to me like the submitter was being accused, directly or indirectly, of trying to claim said images as their own, when that might not have been the case or intent at all.
Victoria, your photos are absolutely splendid, your writing thoroughly enjoyable and Agnes and Henry are quite simply gorgeous; thanks so much for sharing them in this way. I'm another who'd never have had the opportunity to read your blog if it weren't for Cute Overload and, despite the mis-start, I'm glad that fences have been mended :D
Yo kids, isn't not right to knowingly steal someone's material, but when you post things on the Internet, that's the risk you take. Don't like it? Then don't put things on the Internet.
Geez, I didn't think my e-mail to cuteoverload would cause such a frenzy (I'm Helen by the way).
Parents of Henry and Agnes, thank you for this wonderful blog. I truly enjoy the pictures and appreciate the time you take in updating this blog so frequently. With that said, in the e-mail sent to cuteoverload I never once mentioned that the cats belonged to me, that the blog was mine in any shape or form--it was a misunderstanding plain and simple. See below for the e-mail sent:
from Helen B
to cuteoverload@frostdesign.net
date Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 8:37 AM
subject Check these cuties out
mailed-by gmail.com
hide details Sep 28 (3 days ago)
Reply
http://agnesandhenry.blogspot.com/2008/09/are-you-kidding-me.html
Agnes and Henry were party of the Pettibone litter from the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee.
Helen
/end e-mail
I apologize if you thought I was trying to take credit for your work as this was not my intention.
Kind regards,
Helen
Oh yes, and I apologize if you didn't want these photos posted on cuteoverload. I sent the link thinking the website would perform due diligence procedures on ownership as I directed them straight to this site.
Helen
Helen -- my response is on my own blog.
I also found your site via cute overload. It really is too bad that things got mixed up and that there were some copyright issues, but I must say I'm so glad to have found your blog, Victoria.
Your kitties are adorable! Henry reminds me so much of my own orange terror - I mean "tabby". Same Siamese-ish features, same biting fetish... And Agnes is indeed a perfect little lady.
I, for one, am grateful for what turned out (for me, at least) to be a happy accident!
Sorry that your pictures were taken without your permission but I wouldn't have known about your blog if it weren't for Cute Overload's blog on your kitties. They are truly adorable!
I'm sure there was a misunderstanding and the referrer just wanted to share with the world that your kitties are just so adorable!
Now I will follow your blog as much as I follow Cute Overload. :-)
Welcome to the internet. It will happen time and time again, anything you post is accessible to anyone and is therefore fair game. Sorry if I'm coming off as rude, but thems the shakes on the information super highway.
I really hope you don't put this blog together using Google's new Chrome browser, their TOS make anything you post using their browser property of Google.
Perhaps it's time to watermark your images, that's about the best you'll ever be able to do.
You do realize that since people could get to your site through the cute overload link that they WERE crediting you with the photos, right? Otherwise, there wouldn't have BEEN a way for people to get to your website.
It's called fair use. Perhaps you should read up on it.
Oh get over yourself. They are cat pictures for god's sake. There are a gazillion of them on the internet. Yes, yours are cute, but not that cute. And your photography skills are not that great. Watermark and copyright them if you are so hung up on it.
Hey Victoria - Speaking as one who works in the photo industry, just wanted to compliment your work...it is a great stuff! I especially like your way with lighting. Not to mention the pleasure you give all us cat lovers by allowing us watch the kits grow up.
PS. I had to chuckle at the previous 2 posts by the anonymous "experts." Ignore 'em and keep up the good work, ok?
Agree 1000%!!!
Post a Comment