Friday, September 17, 2010

Henry the Perpetual Kitten

Henry, Sleeping


Henry, though a young man of two years, is still very much a kitten. He's had a challenging year with many visits to the vet as we try to figure out why he licks tongue-shaped bald spots in his beautiful buff coat. We've ruled out food allergies, neurosis and Cancer (hooray). "Mr. Man" (one of countless nick-names) shares my propensity for autoimmune issues. I get itchy psoriasis, he gives himself racing stripes.

He is taking a medication that is not a steroid (double hooray) that is helping him. Steroids, which he's taken a couple of rounds of, changed his personality ever so slightly, making him a little offish, so I'm over the moon that the new meds allow him to be the sweet boy who is attached to my side, unless he's flying around the house or watching birds and squirrels with his sister.

I still marvel at how much love I have for Agnes and Henry and marvel at their truly delightful nature. Not having any children, I can only imagine that this is the joy happy parents feel about their progeny. I've never felt that way about children, so I'll just bask in warm-fuzzies that our dear Pettibones bring to our home.

5 comments:

Martin Hooper said...

Awww he is such a lovely cat!

Glad he's feeling so much better and that he is on meds that agree with him!

HubbleSpacePaws said...

We'll keep Henry in purrayer on his skin issues. Yay for meds that are working and giving you back your cuddleboy!

Everyone is called to nurture, and be nurtured by, life on this planet in different ways! How wonderful that these (not so) little (anymore) Pettibones and you found each other!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are posting again. I missed you and your kiddos! I too never had human children, but I consider my two girls to be, well my two girls.

Anonymous said...

Two kids (adult) and 3 cats. It's all love. Hurray for your posting again. I love seeing and reading about these two. I'm so happy to read that Henry's responding to the meds.

Anonymous said...

Hope he is feeling better by now. You could try an all meat diet (certainly couldn't hurt), that is the only thing that truly worked with a foster kitten that I had who had same issue. catnutrition.org